Talking to a Melanoma Survivor
We phoned Whaea Emma’s Aunty and put her on speaker to ask her some questions and listen to her story.
What is Aunty Sarah’s Story?
- She got Melanoma
- She was 23 when she got it
- She had a mole at the back of her leg
- It all started with that mole
- It wasn’t even itchy
- She went to the doctor early
- They had to cut the mole off
- She was very lucky
- she is a survivor
What have we learned from talking to her?
- Cover up when you go in the sun
- Don’t stay in the sun too long
- Check the weather and be prepared
- Check the UV rating
- look after your skin because you only get one
- Stay in the shade
- Wear the right clothing
- be careful in the sun
- Don’t underestimate the sun
- Check suspicious moles with the mole doctor
- Any changes to your skin see the doctor